U.S. Sanitary Commission
- Franklin B. Fay. War Papers of Frank B. Fay, with Reminiscences of Service in the Camps and Hospitals of the Army of the Potomac, 1861-1865. William H. Reed, ed. Boston: Press of Geo. H. Ellis Company, 1911.
- Mary A. Livermore. My Story of the War: The Civil War Memoirs of the Famous Nurse, Relief Organizer, and Suffragette. Da Capo Press, 1995.
- William H. Reed. Hospital Life in the Army of the Potomac. Boston: W.V. Spencer, 1866.
- Charles C. Chesney. A Military View of Recent Campaigns in Virginia and Maryland. London: Smith, Elder and Co., 1863.
- Charles C. Coffin. Four Years of Fighting: A Volume of Personal Observation with the Army and Navy, From the First Battle of Bull Run to the Fall of Richmond. Boston: Ticknor and Fields, 1866.
- Samuel P. Day. Down South: Or, and Englishman’s Experience at the Seat of the American War. London: Urst and Blackett, 1862.
- “An English Combatant.” Battle-fields of the South: From Bull Run to Fredericksburgh. New York: John Bradburn, 1864.
- Henry C. Fletcher. History of the American War. London: Richard Bentley, 1865.
- Arthur Freemantle. Three Months in the Southern States. London: William Blackwood and Sons, 1863.
- Catherine C. Hopley. Life in the South: From the Commencement of the War. London: Chapman and Hall, 1863.
- William Howard Russell’s Civil War: Private Diary and Letters, 1861 – 1862. Athens: The University of Georgia Press, 1992.
- Foster Zincke. Last Winter in the United States. London: John Murray, 1868.
- Kate Cumming. Kate: The Journal of a Confederate Nurse. Richard B. Harwell, ed. Louisiana State University Press, 1987.
- Mary D. W. Harrison. Miss Waring’s Journal: 1863 and 1865, Being the Diary of Miss Mary Waring of Mobile, During the Final Days of the War Between the States. Wyvern Press of S.F. E., 1964.
- Louisa May Alcott. Hospital Sketches: An Army Nurse’s True Account of Her Experiences During the Civil War. Boston: Applewood Books, 1993.
- Cornelia P. Spencer. The Last Ninety Days of the War in North Carolina. New York: Watchman Publishing Company, 1866.
- Kate Stone. Brokenburn: The Journal of Kate Stone, 1861-1868. Louisiana State University Press, 1995.
- Sarah M. Dawson. A Confederate Girl’s Diary. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1913.
- Sallie A. Brock. Richmond During the War: Four Years of Personal Observation. University of Nebraska Press, 1996.
- Judith W. McGuire. Diary of a Southern Refugee, During the War. Richmond: J.W. Randolph & English, Publishers, 1889.
- Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut. Mary Chesnut’s Civil War. C. Vann Woodward, ed. Yale University Press, 1981
- Cornelia Peake McDonald. A Woman’s Civil War: A Diary with Reminiscences of the War from March 1862. Minrose C. Gwin, ed. Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1992.
- Phoebe Y. Pember. A Southern Woman’s Story. New York: G.W. Carleton & Co., 1879.
- Julia D. Grant. The Personal Memoirs of Julia Dent Grant (Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant). Ulysses S. Grant Association, 1975.
- Sarah Palmer. The Story of Aunt Becky’s Army-Life. Bedford: Applewood Books, 2008.
- Hannah A. Ropes. Civil War Nurse: The Diary and Letters of Hannah Ropes. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 1993.
(Last updated June 6, 2015)