Army of Northern Virginia
Staff of Lt. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson
- Henry Kyd Douglas. I Rode with Stonewall: The War Experiences of the Youngest Member of Jackson’s Staff. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1968.
Staff of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart
- William W. Blackford. War Years with Jeb Stuart. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1993.
- Heros von Borcke. Memoirs of the Confederate War for Independence. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1867.
- Henry B. McClellan. I Rode with Jeb Stuart: The Life and Campaigns of Major General J. E. B. Stuart. Bloomington: Da Capo Press, Inc., 1958.
Army of the Potomac
Staff of Lt. Gen. Ulysseus S. Grant
- Horace Porter. Campaigning with Grant. New York: The Century Co., 1906.
- Charles A. Dana. Recollections of the Civil War: With the Leaders at Washington and in the Field in the Sixties. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1902.
Staff of Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan
- Henry C. Fletcher. History of the American War. London: Richard Bentley, 1865.
- Louis-Philippe-Albert d’Orléans comte de Paris. History of the Civil War in America. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1875.
Aide-de-camp to Gen. George G. Meade
- Meade’s Army: The Private Notebooks of Lt. Col. Theodore Lyman. David W. Lowe, ed. Kent: Kent State University Press, 2007.
- John C. Tidball. The Artillery Service in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-65. Lawrence M. Kaplan, ed. Westholme Publishing, 2011.
Medical Department – 1st division, 2nd corps
- William W. Potter. Reminiscences of Field-Hospital Service with the Army of the Potomac. Buffalo Medical and Surgical Journal, 1889.
(Last updated November 14, 2015)
Did You Know?
General Robert E. Lee did not take command of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia until after the wounding of General Joseph E. Johnston at the battle of Seven Pines on May 31, 1862.